Man Suffers Second-Degree Burns When Garage Catches Fire Near Rainier

Posted

A man was taken to a Seattle hospital Monday after he was burned in a garage fire near Rainier, according to Southeast Thurston Fire District officials.

About 1:25 p.m. Monday, fire crews were dispatched to the area of 133rd Avenue Southeast and state Route 507, Fire Chief Mark King said.

The man was burned either trying to put the fire out or remove things from the detached garage, King said. A nearby house was not damaged but the garage is a total loss, King said.

The man suffered second-degree burns to his arms and legs, he said. The man was first taken to Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia, then was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Other fire departments responded to the blaze because there was a need for water tenders to fight the fire, King said.